Just a quick post to share this pizza dough recipe with you this morning, as promised! This isn’t my recipe. It’s from a cookbook that came with my pizza stone, but I really like it. It’s healthier than your typical crust because it’s made with whole wheat flour, instead of refined white flour. The recipe makes 4 crusts that are about 8 inches in diameter. I love that it’s so thin, so it cooks fast! I almost never end up with a perfectly round pizza, but it tastes just as good!
After kneading the dough, let it rise until doubled in size.
Roll out the dough to about 8 inches wide – any shape is fine! If you have a pizza peel, and you’re transferring the pizza to a stone or preheated baking sheet in the oven, it helps to have cornmeal under the crust. It slides right off!
Add your toppings! This one was buffalo chicken.
Bake on a preheated pizza stone, or baking sheet for about 8-10 minutes, until bubbly and crust is crispy.
Carefully remove and enjoy!
WHOLE WHEAT PIZZA CRUST
Makes: 4 8in pizza crusts
From Gourmet Pizza Made Easy
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (105⁰ – 115⁰ F)
1 ½ tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Stir yeast into water until dissolved.
2. In a separate bowl, mix flours, salt, and sugar.
3. Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture, and pour in yeast mixture and oil. Fold together ingredients until combined into a dough.
4. Turn out onto floured surface, and knead dough until springy and smooth, about 15-20 minutes.
5. Divide dough into 4 balls. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and place two balls on each. Cover with damp towels, and place in a warm location to rise until dough has doubled in size, about 2 hours.
6. Once risen, dough is ready to be rolled out, or wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen for future use.
7. To roll out, sprinkle work surface with flour, and press dough down with fingers, and flatten out from the center using your palms. Be careful not to overwork the dough. Use a rolling pin to roll dough until it’s very thin – 8-10 inches. Don’t worry if it’s not round. Any shape is fine!
8. Add toppings, and bake in 450 degree oven for about 8-10 minutes.
Serving size: 1 crust
Happy, healthy eating!