Before it becomes too cold to grill, I must share this goodie with you! It’s a rainy, dreary Saturday here in Pittsburgh. That means inside chores like laundry and basement cleaning. Fun? No. But needed. We also did some baby shopping. There’s so much out there, it’s gonna take a while for it all to sink in. And really, there seems to be so much more out there than is actually needed. We haven’t actually bought anything yet because it’s just so overwhelming! Soon!
So this pizza. THIS PIZZA! You guys, you are going to want to make this! I have seen many grilled pizzas around the interweb this summer, and this is my first try at one. It couldn’t have turned out better. And really, what’s a better combo than tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella cheese? Classic. I had some leftover pesto sauce, so you better believe that went on it. I made this pizza crust. If you don’t want to make a crust, a pre-made crust is fine, but make sure it’s a raw one (freezer section). Have everything set up and prepped and sliced ahead of time. This pizza goes quick!
I used fresh mozzarella for my pizza. You can get that right in the dairy section with the other cheeses. It comes in a ball or brick shape. Slice yours thinner than I did in the picture. It will melt much better. The crust should be grilled about 5 minutes or so on each side. You will be amazed at how grilling the pizza transforms it. And the pesto sauce instead of tomato sauce? Amazing. I promise. You’ll love this! I bet your kids will, too! I mean, it is pizza!
This isn’t exactly health food. But it is healthified pizza. We all need a little pizza sometimes. It’s definitely better than pizzeria pizzas. And it’s so gratifying to make it from scratch, right? Enjoy!
GRILLED CAPRESE PESTO PIZZA
Makes 1 16 inch pizza (serves 4)
1 raw 16 inch pizza crust (see my recipe here)
½ – ¾ cup pesto sauce
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thin
8-10 fresh basil leaves
1. Clean grill grates, and rub with olive oil to prevent sticking. Preheat grill and reduce heat to medium low.
2. Prepare all ingredients, and have them assembled by the grill ahead of time.
3. Place pizza dough directly on grill grates. Close lid and grill for about 5-8 minutes.
4. Flip dough over, and assemble ingredients on top in this order: pesto sauce, mozzarella, tomatoes, basil leaves.
5. Close lid and grill an additional 7-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
6. Carefully remove from grill. It helps to use a spatula and slide a cutting board under the pizza if you don’t have a pizza peel.
7. Slice and serve!
Happy, healthy eating!