It’s been a little longer than I’d like since my last post. How busy it’s been! With the weather finally cooperating, we’ve been spending a lot of time in the yard working. My garden is finally sprouting! It’s small this year, but I have big hopes for the future!
It’s a little late, but hopefully you all enjoyed your Memorial Day! Hopefully you also had a moment to stop and remember all the men and women who make that day possible and keep us all safe; past, present, and future.
We spent the day with family. It was great! It drizzled most of the day, but that didn’t stop us from having a camp fire to roast hot dogs on!
All those things on the ground around the fire are ears of corn. THE. BEST. WAY. TO. EAT. CORN. EVER. Seriously, if you’ve never had roasted corn on the cob on a camp fire, do it. Now. I’ll wait.
Besides hot dogs and corn on the cob, we also had baked beans, sweet potato tortilla chips, blue corn tortilla chips, hummus, homemade green tomato salsa, and a cake my sister-in-law with fresh strawberries. Yum! And today’s delicious recipe: Wheat berry and grilled vegetable salad with lemon thyme vinaigrette! This was good yesterday when I made it, and even better today! I definitely recommend making this the day before, and allowing the flavors to combine, if time allows. This salad is light and refreshing. The dressing adds virtually no calories, and so much flavor, and the thyme finishes it perfectly. It’s worth using fresh lemon juice, if you can. Grilling the vegetables adds another element of yumminess. I had to do it in two batches because there were so many! And those mini peppers? Amazing on the grill!
WHEAT BERRY AND GRILLED VEGETABLE SALAD WITH LEMON THYME VINAIGRETTE
1 cup dry Wheat Berries
4 cups Water
1 small Eggplant, sliced
2 small Yellow Squash, sliced
1 bunch Asparagus
1 bag Mini Peppers
5 stalks Green Garlic (or green onions)
5 Green Onions, most of green removed
¼ – ½ cup olive oil
Lemon slices to grill for garnish, if desired
1/3 cup Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
1 ½ Tbsp Fresh Thyme, stems removed
1. In a medium sauce pan, boil water and wheat berries over medium-low heat for about an hour, until wheat berries are soft (they will not absorb all the water, and will not split open). Drain and rinse wheat berries. Set aside.
2. Brush vegetables with olive oil, and grill over medium heat until softened and grill marks appear; about 5-10 minutes on each side.
3. Combine vegetables and wheat berries in a large bowl.
4. Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar and thyme. Pour over vegetable mixture.
5. Combine all ingredients and refrigerate until cold. Serve cold, garnished with grilled lemon slices, if desired.
Happy, healthy eating!